Thursday, October 20, 2016

From Texas to Thailand

Today is the day - I am going to teach English in Thailand! What started as a farfetched daydream last summer is finally turning into a reality. My passion for travel started in the fall of 2014 when I studied abroad in Cape Town, South Africa. If I learned anything from living in South Africa (and I'd like to think I learned a lot!) it's that people will react in the most unusual ways when they hear I am going overseas. Since I've revealed I will be teaching in Thailand, I have been asked everything under the sun, such as...

"Do you know Spanish?" Nope. Luckily in Thailand most people don't speak Spanish either.
"Will you eat pad Thai?" I certainly plan on it!
"Are you crazy?!" Well... that's for another blog post entirely.

So here I am: a post-grad Texan moving to Thailand (who is only fluent in English and American Sign Language). The most popular question I get is:

"How in the world did you choose to do THAT after graduation?"

When I got back from studying abroad in the spring of my junior year, I started thinking about careers that would let me go overseas again. At first this was something I only dreamed about because I thought it was impossible. Yet, by the summer of 2015 I was almost positive I wanted to go back abroad post-grad. I began reading about teaching overseas as an English as a Second Language teacher and quickly realized this career path would be the best fit for me. It made sense both economically and in terms of practicality. I am very fortunate to have parents who won't stop me from living my dreams. (Although it did take a few weeks for them to realize I am going to Thailand not Taiwan!) My family understands that this is something I feel the need to do for myself and that it won't be detrimental to any other career I want in the future.

A little bit more about me! Seen above is a teaching aid I created for my future classroom. Click photo to enlarge.

When I tell people I am teaching English in Thailand, they often reply saying that I am brave or strong for choosing such an unorthodox path. Bashful as I may sound, I completely disagree! I have no idea what is in store for me and have no clue what to expect. I'm simply committed to having an open-mind and learning from new experiences. I was blessed (or cursed) with this type of personality, so when I get an idea I will do anything in my power to make it happen. I'm also my toughest critic and definitely struggled with self-doubt during this process. However, once I convinced myself that teaching abroad was a viable career choice, I never looked back!

I will also admit this is a selfish decision. Selfishness has a negative connotation, but honestly I chose to teach abroad just as much for my own benefit as for the students I will be teaching. I value that I am at a point in my life where I can put myself first. I know this will be invaluable in shaping me as a young adult.

I am excited to get to Bangkok for orientation, though 3 airports and 2 layovers stand in between my final destination and me. I will be blogging regularly while abroad and would love to hear feedback! I am eager to report back on my success, missteps and lessons learned. People often say, "You only get one life so live it!"

This is the Life of Bryna.

5 comments:

  1. Bryna,
    Sweet girl, prayers for your safe travels! I am SO VERY proud of you and look forward to reading all about your adventures. You are one of the most incredible people I have ever known and I believe God has great experiences lined up for you! Take care! Love, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you! You are one of the bravest young women I know and I can't wait to read about your adventures. You won't be too far from Bangkok! I'll let you know if we end up there - it would be amazing to see you in Thailand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited as you begin and jealous these opportunities werent so readily available when i graduated college. I think we are kindred spirits except for the bungee jumping! Good luck as you begin classes and i look forward to your next post. Love, Aunt Mar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bryna! I'm catching up (backwards) to your blog. Add me to your list! I'm so excited for you and we are rooting you on-you are going to be one fab teacher!

    Love, Lissa (Mrs. H!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I welcome all the suggestion mentioned in this blog related to new learning skills. It is definitely going to help me to adopt new exited way of learning. I think, others will also feel helpful this blog for their needs.
    ไฮไลท์บอล

    ReplyDelete