Monday, February 27, 2017

Onwards & Upwards

Since arriving in Thailand last October, I often find myself in a state of disbelief. I can’t believe I am one day away from summer break. I can’t believe that Thai people are so kind and nurturing. I can’t believe I’m packing up my life in Chachoengsao and moving on to the next adventure.

Over the past four months, I have accomplished many feats. No longer do I feel timid when I speak Thai, nor do I let food poisoning ruin my week. I’d like to think I’m not deathly afraid of any bug that comes my way, but that’s a work in progress.

Teaching 500 middle and high school students is a job that I will always remember fondly. Traveling miles (or should I say kilometers?) across Thailand by bus, train, foot and ferry, among other uniquely Thai modes of transportation, tested me in more ways than I ever thought possible. Meeting incredibly special people along the way led to countless friendships that I cherish wholeheartedly. All of these memories combined to form a semester that was valuable beyond belief.

An inspiring group of 11th graders, who I know will do great things for Thailand and the rest of the world. Click photo to enlarge.

For the next 10 weeks I will be traveling throughout Myanmar, Vietnam and Cambodia. I am sad to say that I am unsure if I will be able to continue blogging during these travels. When I return to Thailand, I look forward to recounting stories about all of these trips.

Fresh blooms in Pattaya. Click photo to enlarge.

Of course, my farewell to Chachoengsao would not be complete without seeing my favorite group of 4-year-olds one more time. We spent our last night together bouncing around a a jungle gym and playing until it was bedtime! I will miss their sweet smiles tremendously, but I know our paths will cross again soon.

Her laughter is as contagious as her smile! Click photo to enlarge.

In May, I am moving to Nonthaburi, a province on the northwest border of Bangkok. In my new town I will be teaching English for communication to 1st through 6th graders. I am over the moon that I will get the chance to teach primary school, live closer to Bangkok and impart my love for communication to others. I am confident that my next school will be a good fit for me. I know the only place to go from here is up!

3 comments:

  1. I cant believe your first session is already up!! I am so happy you are staying to travel and see a part of the world that most of the family has not seen! Wishing you safe travels and the best experiences ever! Love, Aunt Marian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryna, you continue to inspire! Enjoy your awaiting adventures and I will keep you in my prayers for safe travels! Take care, One of your biggest fans, Susie :)

    ReplyDelete